Getting your MikroTik router ready for use with Minim is a quick process, consisting of three broad steps:
Baseline installation: Getting a baseline management configuration onto your MikroTik router that will enable it to communicate with the Minim cloud server.
Provisioning: Adding the router to your Minim inventory.
Activation: Installing the router at a subscriber premise.
Please follow the step-by-step instructions below to set up your MikroTiks for use on Minim.
Phase 1: Baseline Installation
Things you'll need: a stock or factory reset MikroTik router, a computer with a working Internet connection, an ethernet cable
- Plug your MikroTik router into power.
- While it boots up, use your computer to download and install WinBox [Windows | Mac]
- Upgrade your firmware via the instructions here
- Use the same computer to download your MikroTik configuration file.
- Plug one end of the ethernet cable into your computer. Plug the other end into one of the MikroTik's LAN ports. Do not plug into the WAN port.
- If you are unable to use ethernet, use your computer's WiFi to join the MikroTik's default SSID. (The SSID format is ‘MikroTik-xxxxxx’ where the last six digits are the last six digits of the router’s serial number)
6. Open WinBox on your computer. Type in the router’s IP address (192.168.88.1), login (admin) and leave the password field blank. Click connect.
7. Once you've logged in, navigate to Files in the menu on the left.
8. Click Upload and browse for the mom_dhcp_port1.rsc files you downloaded in Step 3. You can also drag and drop the mom_dhcp_port1.rsc file directly into the file list window. [Note: different .rsc file shown in pictures, but the process is exactly the same!]
9. After uploading, drag the mom_dhcp_port1.rsc into the directory called "flash". If you do not see a directory called "flash", leave the mom_dhcp_port1.rsc where it is.
10. Click on System > Reset Configuration.
11. Click on the "Run After reset" Dropdown and select flash/mom_dhcp_port1.rsc (or mom_dhcp_port1.rsc if there is no flash directory). Be sure to check the "No Default Configuration" checkbox.
12. Click the "Reset Configuration" button
13. Wait 30 seconds for the new configuration to transfer to the router.
14. Unplug the power and ethernet cable from the MikroTik.
Phase 2: Provisioning
- Navigate to the Minim Care Portal and log in. Navigate to the Inventory tab and click the "Add Inventory" button.
2. Type in MikroTik’s "e01" MAC address into the form. You can find this on the router's label. [If you would like to add multiple routers at once, put each MAC address on a new line.] Click "create" button.
3. Plug the MikroTik into power and connect the WAN (port 1) to a live ethernet cable, so that the MikroTik can connect to the internet
4. Wait 30 seconds for the provisioning process to complete. You should be able to find the device's MAC address in the Inventory table.
5. The router is provisioned and ready to deploy. Unplug cables and package the device for installation.
Phase 3: Installation at Premise
- In the care portal, click the router's MAC address to activate it. Enter the subscriber's information. Click activate.
2. At the subscriber's premise, install the MikroTik by plugging it into power and connecting the modem to the MikroTik's WAN port via ethernet.
3. After a few minutes, the MikroTik should come online and appear in the Care Portal. You can find the customer's LAN by searching their name or the MAC address of their MikroTik.